SAFETY AND INSTRUCTIONS
Safe Shooting Tips and Practices
• Treat firearms as if they are loaded and keep them pointed safely down range.
• Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to discharge your firearm in a safe direction.
• Always wear appropriate eye and ear protection.
• Always know what is well beyond and immediately behind your targets.
• Steel Targets Fragment the Bullet on Impact. This fragmentation risk is minimal but all shooters must use proper distances and eye protection to ensure safety from Fragmentation.
• Many of our targets use wood for support legs and stem pieces. Bullet fragments will embed into the wood.
BE CAREFUL WHEN HANDLING THE WOOD AFTER USING TARGETS. USE GLOVES WHEN HANDLING WOOD IMPACTED BY BULLET FRAGMENTS.
RECOMMENDED SHOOTING DISTANCE FOR STEEL TARGETS:
• (Pistols – 15 yards)
• (Shotguns – 30 yards) (Shotgun with standard velocity slug – 50 yards)
• RIFLES (.223(5.56), .30-30, .22-250, – 150 yards) (.45-70 – 200 yards) (.270, .308, 30-06 300+ yards)
• PISTOL & SMALL CALIBER RIFLE (LESS THAN .223/5.56MM) RATED TARGETS SHOULD BE KEPT BELOW 750 FT. POUNDS IN ENERGY WHEN STRIKING THE TARGET. USE .223/5.56MM AT A MINIMUM DISTANCE OF 150 YARDS OR MORE.
• RIMFIRE RATED TARGETS SHOULD ONLY USE RIMFIRE AMMUNITION.
• RIFLE RATED TARGET ROUNDS SHOULD BE KEPT BELOW 1400 FT. LBS. IN ENERGY WHEN STRIKING TARGETS TO PRESERVE TARGET INTEGRITY. SEE A BALLISTICS CHART FOR YOUR CALIBERS ENERGY AT SPECIFIED DISTANCES.
TARGET USERS ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY IN USING STEEL TARGETS. ALL STEEL TARGETS HAVE A RISK OF RICOCHET INJURY. MAKE SURE PROPER DISTANCES ARE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES
Copper jacketed/plain lead bullets are the only ammo types recommended for use with AR500 plate. Do not use steel shotgun slugs, pellets, steel core, green tip, xm-855, steel jacket or any armor piercing rounds. Proper maintenance and use combined the above mentioned practices will help insure that you get a lifetime use of your targets.
Instructions for Silhouette & Dueling Tree Targets:
VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW THAT THE FIRST FEW TIMES YOU USE THE TARGET BASES AND MOUNTS WITH NEW 2”X4” LUMBER THE FIT CAN BE VERY TIGHT.
- When assembled properly the target is designed to slant/lean towards the shooter.
- Never shoot pistols at flat steel plates. This is to ensure proper bullet/fragment deflection into the ground and minimize risk of injury to the shooter.
- Make sure the target is leaning at an angle of 15 degrees toward you.
- The base and mount lumber need to be 2” X 4” lumber with nominal dimensions of 1.5” x 3.5”.
- The 2x4 legs need to be a bit longer than the vertical target 2X4 stem piece holding up the target.
- The horizontal base slots need to be touching the ground and the two support legs should be touching the ground.
- Insert leg pieces into the base slots with 2/3rds of the base legs forward of the target and 1/3rd out the back of the base mount.
- The target can be as tall or as short as you like.
- Repaint targets, bases, mounts, and hangers as needed. There is no such thing as ballistic proof paint.
Silhouette/Dueling Tree Mount
1) Place Silhouette Plate or Dueling Tree Stem onto the 2”x4” lumber Vertical Mount Slots.
2) Attach Paddle and tighten nylock nut until locked. Do not over tighten.